Saturday, June 21, 2008

A matter of faith

I am trying to inquire why do people get so disturbed when their faith is questioned? Why is faith absolutely non negotiable? Christians know that Jesus Christ was the son of god and he gave the spoken word from god. Muslims know that Mohammad was the god messenger who gave humanity the gods word. Hindus believe Brahma is the creator of the Universe and the smrutis are the way to live a life. Even atheists get disturbed when some fundamental non atheists make an argument against evolution.
I think faith is an inherently human trait. Something separate from the sensory perceptions. I can see the table, does that mean the table is there? The analogy from metaphysics. Well yes of course the table is there because I can sense it will all my given senses. But god is something you cannot sense. In fact 'you' are itself something you yourself or anyone else cannot 'sense'. That is probably the soul, although I am not sure. But you do believe that you are there because you can feel 'you'. You can feel your body, your hands, legs, hair, etc everything except the mind. So to justify the existence of the mind to yourself you have to have faith! And this faith is super personal in nature because if anyone questions this faith, it means to you that you don't exist.
(to be continued)

No comments: